Thursday, December 1, 2011

Looking Good Feeling Bad


Good morning my brothers and sisters:

I don’t have a whole lot to report today. I was in a dark place for a while yesterday. Sometimes this whole trek gets to me. Oh well, no big deal.

Someone recently mentioned that I looked good and not sick at all. Actually I get that fairly frequently. I was wondering why that is since only one of my blood indicators is where it is supposed to be (white blood cells – Thank God). To be fair many are close, but still low. Other blood numbers are just in the toilet, but that’ll turn around with time.

The question remains why don’t I look as bad as my numbers suggest?

I think the difference is three-fold.

1.     I showed up for my cancer battle in good shape. The time to get prepared for a life threatening disease isn’t when you get sick; it’s the months/years before you need to be in shape.
2.     During the worst of the chemo (and it was bad sometimes) I pulled my fat buttocks out the hospital bed and dragged it and my IV stand, up and down the hallways of the hospital walking. I also remember riding the recumbent bicycle in the bone marrow transplant unit with a hospital mask on while chemo dripped into my arm as I pedaled up an imaginary hill.
3.     I’m naturally good looking anyway.

So I guess my point is you can’t tell a book by it’s cover and this book has made a big commitment to getting healthy through doing some right things. The thing is there are times when I just feel lousy and no one will ever know because my outside doesn’t reflect my inside.

I guess this was a cathartic rant; I’m not sure where it came from.

Peace,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment