Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Enormity and Such


Enormity and Such

Dear Prudence is playing in the background. The irony of the moment is not lost on me. I used to listen to the White Album in college, before I knew how hard it can all be.

“Look around, ‘round, ‘round,” Lennon sings. “Like a child.”

And that brings me to today. As I greeted “the brand new day,” I was a bit naïve or overly optimistic – pick one.

I visited my primary care doctor, whose demeanor was of such gravity that it focused the whole Burkitt’s Lymphoma conversation.

“Burkitt’s requires aggressive chemotherapy,” she said.

“I’ve been reading about it,” I said.

I’m not sure exactly what aggressive chemo means, but it sounds uninviting. The small amount of research I’ve done suggests it’s an inpatient therapy with doctors dumping cell-killing toxins in my system to get the cancer. The only problem is that chemo kills good stuff too. There doesn’t appear to be a “wait and see” option.

My doc said she would get me an appointment with an oncologist “sooner, rather than later” so we can get started.

As I sat there listening to her, it became apparent this is a serious life and death thing, with winners and losers. Luckily for me I never lose. I am hoping we can get going soon so I don’t have to miss too much work.

It figures though -- I'd get a disease common to children. There is a certain unity in that.

 Guess that’s it.

Peace,

Bill






No comments:

Post a Comment