Tuesday, May 10, 2011

PET


Going to get my self a PET scan to day. I’m not sure why the want to scan one of my pets, but what the hell they’re the doctors. I’m thinking I’ll take my dog Buzz. What? Oh, never mind. Apparently a PET scan isn’t for pets PET is an acronym for Positron Emission Tomography (PET).

Here is some info I stole from http://www.petscaninfo.com/zportal/portals/pat/cancer this morning. Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and Computed Tomography (CT) imaging have become essential diagnostic tools physicians use to reveal the presence and severity of cancers. PET/CT imaging helps physicians detect cancer, evaluate the extent of disease, select the most appropriate treatments, determine if the therapy is working, and detect any recurrent tumors.
Before a PET/CT scan, the patient receives an intravenous injection of radioactive glucose. Many cancer cells are highly metabolic and rapidly synthesize the radioactive glucose. Information regarding the location of abnormal levels of radioactive glucose obtained from the whole-body PET/CT scan helps physicians effectively pinpoint the source of cancer and detect whether cancer is isolated to one specific area.

So anyway, I’m supposed to lie down and be still for about an hour as they move me through this giant donut shaped scanner. In and out and in and out. I’m not claustrophobic, but I am not sure I can sit still for an hour. The good news is I get wear pajamas to a doctor’s appointment. One must find the good in these things.

I’m actually pretty curious about this. I suspect they won’t find much.

My plan is to go to Wawa afterward and get a roast beef sandwich. After all, I have to keep building myself up nutritionally speaking – I’m pretty sure Wawa is on the American Cancer Society’s list of approved food dispensaries. 

That's it for now

Love to all

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bill. I went to Facebook a couple of weeks ago to let you know that I have a new guitar -- it's a Taylor and it's really nice -- but I was surprised and shocked to find out about your cancer journey! I've been following your courageous and heartbreaking blogs for weeks and I've been trying to send you a comment -- hopefully this one finds it's way to you. If there is anything that I can do to ease your journey, please let me know -- like driving you anywhere, mowing your lawn, testing your medical weed for purity, showing you the secrets to playing "Needle and the Damage Done, etc. Can't wait to hear your blues song. Hang in there Big Guy. Bob Clarkin (bobclarkin@comcast.net)

    ReplyDelete