Thursday, November 3, 2011

getting fat, zombies or murderers


Buenos Dias:

Okay I solved a little bit of my single pushup challenge yesterday – I didn’t attempt any. Obviously this can’t go on forever, but it was a fine solution yesterday. Instead I went to Pathmark (local grocery store) and bought Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes and bananas. Tony and I had a greeeeaaaattt lunch!

I stopped up at the Delaware Department of Labor yesterday. That’s always kind of hard because I don’t have time or energy to drop in and see everyone that’s been so nice to me; that makes me kind of sad. I run out of gas a little.

I’ve discovered one problem with my recovery.  As my sense of taste returns, I am rediscovering food. I love to eat so I have to be careful or I’ll gain back the 30 pounds I lost from cancer. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years are around the corner and those are my favorite eating holidays. I also tend to celebrate any day ending in “Y.” I was going to celebrate Wednesday yesterday with a pumpkin pie, but my party pooper little voice stopped me.

I am in the middle of a book crisis. My favorite author is James Joyce – I can’t even say that with a straight face. Of course he’s not my favorite. Have you tried reading “Ulysses” lately?  I once read a column by P.J. O’Rourke that said you should only read books that if the cops find your body at home they’ll be impressed. I tried that for a couple of years and still never got through “Moby Dick.”

The truth is I’ve been on a zombie kick lately and my favorite author of that genre is Jonathan Maberry (actually he lives just over the state line in PA). My other favorite is John Sandford author of all the “Prey” books. I’m reading “Dead of Night” by Maberry, but discovered I had missed a Prey book and ordered “Storm Prey” from Amazon. Now I have two great cheesy books to read – I am awash in literary (I use the term very loosely) cheesy crime/zombie riches. Oh well – I’ll just have to hack my way through it all.

I guess that’s it for now.

See you tomorrow,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment