Monday, November 7, 2011

slowly geting better


Good morning Chemo 13 Gang members:

Chemo doth murder sleep. I’ve been up for some time and I’m cranky!

Rough day yesterday. I’m not sure if it was chemo side effects sneaking back in, but I just felt lousy. It was either side effects or the Bratwurst, French Onion dip, and chips I ate watching football.

A few of you guys expressed concern I was pushing too hard too soon with the exercise aspect of the recovery. I appreciate that and I will be very careful. Like today I’m pooped, so all I’ll probably do is ride the stationery bike that takes up a large piece of my living room. The stationery bike is pretty benign; heck the bone marrow transplant unit at the hospital has one! Regardless, your warnings are well heeded.

Actually last week was a time for establishing baselines for moving forward. This is the data I compiled.

Before Cancer                                                 Now


HEIGHT            6’1”                                                              3’.5 (I’m only half the man I
use to be) heh, heh,

Weight             255                                                                  225

Pushups            60                                                                    1

Max run             5 Miles (conservative)                                     600 yards

Sit-ups             70                                                                        Not attempted – abdomen not
    ready

Walking            No limit                                                            ½ Mile (Sunday’s new world
   Record)

Bench Press            325                                                             125

This data suggests that cancer beat hell out of me, but that’s cool. I’m still here and the Burkitt’s is gone (I know, I know don’t be counting chickens).  The thing is that most of the chemo recovery is an invisible incremental thing with good days and bad and there’s really no way to measure success on any day. But tracking these things gives me the sense of control over what is still a somewhat uncontrollable situation. 

Do I feel better than I did four weeks ago? Sure. My stomach isn’t doing cartwheels with the frequency it used to; my fatigue is better, but I still need to hunker down throughout the day; and my legs, feet and hands are still a bit off, but getting a little better. Even so it’s still a fight most days although I am getting the upper hand.

So it's mostly baby steps.

I guess that’s it for now.

I am working on figuring our what I’ve learned so far from all this. I’ll let you know.

Peace,

Bill


No comments:

Post a Comment