Thursday, August 25, 2011

Stickers Schlock


Dear Chemo 13 members:

About a week ago I handed it out Chemo 13 gum-backed sticker logos to all the nurses and other staff as a way to show our soul-felt solidarity as part of my personal battle with cancer. Simply, my gang is my power over this thing and symbols are an important attestation of that unity and common sense of purpose.
Well, it turns out the stickers I made on the kitchen table at the house may not be sterile enough for the other patient and could cause bacterial microbial stuff to be inadvertently pushed from room to room. So the nursing gang members had to take the stickers off their name badges. As always patient care comes first, and I thank the hospital leaders for their preemption in this regard, but I would be remiss if I did not tell you about the high quality production process those stickers went through. It’s not like I’m a toy painter from the People’s Republic of China.

Coco's vigilance
Buzz waiting to ponce
When I made those stickers I only dropped a little mustard on one-batch, which I was able to wipe off by dabbing a napkin on my tongue and re-use the mustard on a Nathan’s Hot Dog. See, only the very best – I’m fine and that mustard was only there for seconds before my Yorkshire Terrier Coco, alerted me that Buzz, my white constantly shedding Spitz monster and lover of hotdogs, was making his own break for the tube steaks while I was in the bathroom. He didn’t get many dogs thankfully because Nathan’s does give him a stomachache. But when cornered he too eventually assisted in the clean up – remember dogs mouths are cleaner than humans or cats; they’ve done studies.

After I picked Buzz’s hair off the back of the glue on the back of the stickers (each sticker was individually inspected for crinkling) everything is good as new and each sticker clean as whistle and approved by Buzz or me.

To be sure though, I even packaged them inside a sealed plastic lunch bag for the journey from my house to the hospital. And just to show what a good ecological steward I am, I even embraced the 3-Rs of environmental resource management – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle for transporting the badges by reusing one of the empty bags from my wife’s lunch box. Now you can say what you want about me, but my wife keeps a pretty clean lunch bag and if she has an empty plastic bag – zip lock no less –with only a few errant breadcrumbs to be emptied then that baby and its contents are pretty darn clean.

There you have it, the most stringent method of sticker manufacturing applied by a man and two of his dogs in an effort to bring small therapeutic doses of faith, hope, and charity from a little kitchen table in Newark, Delaware.

BTW go to http://tipnut.com/25-helpful-items-to-remove-sticky-adhesive-goo/ for tips on how to remove sticky backing.

Peace to all:

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment