Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wednesday, August 31, 2011


Wednesday, August 31, 2011


Dear Chemo 13:

Happy last day of August all. I don’t have a lot to report today. My plan is to hunker down watch some TV, ride the recumbent bike, and maybe go to lunch with my boss. I understand she is off this week. In fact when I get this done I’ll send her a note too.

I have a bunch of thank you cards to write. The problem is that my damn hands don’t work the way I want them to. I think I’m having some neurotoxicity crap going on – it should pass in a few months. Sometimes I just can’t grasp things, you know like a pen or a guitar pick. Playing the F chord on the guitar is almost impossible right now.

I’ve been toying with the idea of going fishing one day, but I am supposed to stay out of direct sun – kind of like the Eric Northman. Anyway I’m thinking that next month when it cools down a bit, I just might take a pole and spend the morning at the CD canal drowning a few worms.

I have this great fear though, that a special agent from the Insurance Company will spy on me and decertify my disability claim because I spent the morning relaxing with a fishing pole instead of holed up in my house bombarding myself with Jerry Springer and Maury.  How’s that for a little paranoia?

Ho hum.

Speaking of disability claims, I have to fill out a book-sized application as my short-term claim expires and I access long-term resources. Long term is such a misnomer. I only need about 45 days beyond my original plan to finish off my chemo, get the Hickman Port uninstalled, and go back to work.

I made some miscalculations on my calendar. First, my short-term disability started from the bowel resection in April and not the cancer diagnosis in May. So I lost almost a month of time in non-cancer related activities (life saving nonetheless I grant you, but not chemo). I thought I was on ordinary sick leave. And then I lost almost 15 days dealing with dangerously low blood counts and potential infections that saw me carted off to the hospital at one point. Ten of those days could have been used for chemo had I known more about safe levels vs. normal levels.  Oh well.

I guess that’s it for today.

See you guys later,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment