Monday, October 17, 2011

Great day


It could’ve turned out to be a really stinky day, but instead it turned out beautifully. Kate and the nurses on the cancer floor made it one of the best birthday’s I ever had.

It started out simply enough with the nurse practitioner (kind of hybrid nurse/PA/doctor) making me a card. Then my nurse for the day came in and put happy birthday on my dry erase board and drew three balloons – one red, one green, and blue. It was simple, yet beautiful. I loved it. I don’t have my camera because I didn’t expect to be here. So there is no evidence.

The number of hugs I got was inestimable – each one a special little piece of love I’ll carry forever. I really was touched. The nurses on the floor made this beautiful card; they all signed it and gave it to me. One of the nurse’s inflated two purple surgical gloves like balloons and wrote happy birthday on them. They are taped to the top of my IV stand; I call them my “happy birthday udders.”

At about 1300 I turned on some football (life is wonderful) watched the Eagles build a lead they would keep for a change and then carried through with my threat to take a nap at the 2nd quarter.

When I woke up, I was surrounded by nurses (not a bad way to wake up). About 20 of them were jammed shoulder-to-shoulder in an arc around my bed. For a second I thought I was in an intervention for bad jokes and these were all the people I had offended (then I realized there weren’t enough people).

They gave me a little cake and sang “Happy Birthday.” And then I did something I don’t normally do – I blushed an “aw shucks” blush. It was all really quite beautiful and I will remember it forever.

A little later my bride of 28 years came to visit with a Seasons pepperoni and ham pizza and a strawberry shortcake birthday cake. We watched the Cowboys blow a three-point lead to the Patriots. We sat together – side-by-side – at the foot of the hospital bed, in the room’s visitor chairs, holding hands, and stealing the occasional smooch from each other. It was perfect – truly to become one of those “hey do you remember that time when we …” moments we will share forever.

Although I wouldn’t wish one day of cancer on my worst enemy, yesterday was a day I would wish on anybody.

Peace,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment