Sunday, October 16, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me

It’s my birthday tra, la, la.
This is going to be a great year too. This is the year I beat cancer, recover from all the chemo, and generally get on with life. It’s gonna be great! Hard work; but great nonetheless.

This is the year I write something, that can make you cry. Remember that old song by David Bowie, “Young Americans” when he sings, “Ain’t there one damn song that can make me break down and cry?” Well, that’s what I want to do. Either that or write a dry history thing about the Battle of Cooch’s Bridge. Either way its gonna be great!

This is the year I finally dedicate myself to finger picking on the guitar and play something really cool and complicated, like Al Stewart’s “Road to Moscow,” or something off Van Morrison’s “Moondance” album. Now that I think of it, something off Johnny Winter’s “Still Alive and Well” might be cool.

Oh yeah and I guess I should work too. But you know there are two ways to approach work. One is working to live and the other is living to work. I spent a lot of years doing the latter and I still have cancer and debt. So maybe it’s time to embrace the former and see what happens. I’d hate to end up leading the remainder of life -- in how does Thoreau say it? – …  a life of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in me (excuse the paraphrase).

This the year I renovate my kitchen or get a new house. I hate my kitchen that much. I have this vision of blue and yellow tiling around the cooking area, counter tops, and backsplashes – A kind of vivid southwestern theme with darker, richer blues and yellows. Every tile would be irregularly shaped; maybe I’d shatter some whole tiles first and work with the shards. I’m not sure I even want the surface of the counter perfectly smooth for that matter.

Now for today –

I’ll spend today luxuriating at Spa de la Christiana Care. I’ll be unreasonable with the doctors and nurses. I’ll watch some football. Then take a long nap or two between the 2nd and 4th quarters of the first game. I’ll watch the 2nd game with bated breath as the Cowboys blow an early lead over the Patriots and go down in flames as Tony Romo throws or fumbles the ball/game away.

Kate and I are gonna have Pizza from Seasons followed by an incredibly delicious strawberry, whipped cream cake from that little bakery in the Belfonte neighborhood of Wilmington. That done, I’ll settle in for some really bad Sunday night TV and waddle to and from the bathroom due to some “I only have myself to blame” self induced diarrhea. It’s gonna be great.

I guess that’s it for now.

Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment