Thursday, July 7, 2011

exercise and golf

July 7, 2011

Good Morning all:

I do mean morning. It’s 0436 and I just can’t sleep. Oh well. Started working out yesterday and it went pretty well. I did three sets of light – incredibly light – bench presses, some dumbbell flies, and topped it off with some curls. For safety sake I made sure I worked out early to avoid the heat and made sure I had plenty of fluids.

Even so working out with chemo is tough. As I’ve said so often, my main side effect is an unrelenting upset stomach that gurgles and gurgles. It’s just so damn distracting.

Anyway, I received some notes from you guys warning me about heat and other exercise pitfalls. Thanks.

If you all remember lo these many weeks ago when this all began, I had to have a bowel resection to make the first tumor go away – and that’s how they found the cancer. MY main fear is to reinjure the initial operation that occurred more than twelve weeks ago. I really am a paranoiac about these things. I guess 12 weeks ago probably makes me okay, but I am always skeptical.

Today is day 10 and my numbers should continue to drop for the next few days. Monday 11 JUL 2011 is day 14 when I should begin rebounding and I’m thinking I’d like to try riding around in a golf cart for nine holes next week and see if I can play a couple of holes -- as part of my exercise regimen of course. I’d have to be careful about sun exposure and stuff, but I think I could do it.

I might take a few swings with a plastic golf ball in the backyard today. Or maybe some Wii Golf?


I guess that’s it for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment