Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday, July 1, 2011 -- still good and support groups


Friday, July 1, 2011

I am still doing well. I talked to my doctor yesterday and he thinks that my idea of expanding my workouts to include yoga and some light bike riding might be a good idea. I’m planning on going up to the Wellness Community this week to play with them. For those of you unfamiliar with it, the Wellness Community is a place where cancer patients can get classes on nutrition, meditation, yoga, attend support groups, and generally hang out with other cancer folks.

I am a bit leery of it all because I find myself being a SNIOP (Suggestible to Negative Influences of Other People). I don’t want to put myself in a position where I am wallowing in my disease and not positively leaning forward in the foxhole. 

Another problem (for me ... and it's my problem) is some in the support group aren’t going to make it; they openly speak about their terminal prognosis. I realize it’s important for them to chat about, but it makes me uncomfortable, because I am going to be fine in a few months and I feel bad talking about my future when theirs is so different.  You can imagine the conversation where sooner or later I have to have my foot surgically removed form my mouth:
            They’d say something touching and deep like, “I have six months to live. My family will miss me. “
            I’d say something stupid like, “That’s a shame. I’m going skiing in six months.”
           
The point is I tend to measure my words in a group setting. Those of you reading this know that’s not my strong suit.

It looks like I’ll break out of this joint Saturday night or Sunday morning. We are running about four hours later than schedule due to a mix up between the military care system and my doctor’s office for admitting me. Anyway, my last course of chemo for this round is called Vincristine and it is a 24-hour dosage, which will begin at 1900 tonight. I don’t know what kind of blood test’s they’ll give me afterward or if they’ll make me cool my heels ‘till Sunday morning, but we’ll see.

 Love to all,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment