Wednesday, July 27, 2011

platelets, exercise and admission


As you guys know I’ve been fighting with my platelets recently, but one thing you may not have know is I’ve embarked on an exercise program to help with my chemo recover. I started lifting some weights and riding my bike. Many of you have expressed – rightly so – some reservations about my approach, primarily because of the heat, but also because I sometimes lack good sense and am overly aggressive.

I found this article at livestrong.com, the Lance Armstrong site. It is one of the few places I’ve seen exercise suggestions specifically related to platelet numbers. That’s pretty cool.

Anyway, I am going to the hospital today to finally begin block #4 of my chemo. I should be there ‘till Sunday/Monday. This delay may have actually been a blessing. It’s given me an extra week to rest and get a bit built up. As I’ve mentioned before, the even numbered blocks are tougher on me than so the extra week of chillaxing may have been a good thing. Regardless with only for more to go – I am at the winning phase of this.

Love to all,

Bill



Causes
Many health situations cause low platelets. They include rare inherited disorders; diseases affecting bone marrow, such as leukemia; chemotherapy; kidney dysfunction; autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus; viral infections; reactions to blood transfusions; excessive alcohol intake; and low levels of vitamin B12. Some people also develop chronic low platelet levels for no apparent underlying reason, a condition known as idiopathic thrombocytopenia.
Exercise Considerations

Exercise can cause very small injuries to tissues and small blood vessels, a normal occurrence, notes the Leukemia/Bone Marrow Transplant Program of British Columbia. These injuries usually heal easily because platelet cells stop any bleeding. When platelet count is low, bleeding is not stopped effectively, causing purpura, abnormal bruising and more serious effects. People with low platelets who cut or scrape their skin, for instance, can bleed so severely they need emergency attention.

Exercise Recommendations
The Leukemia/Bone Marrow Transplant Program of British Columbia provides specific exercise recommendations for different levels of low platelets. Limit all activity when the count is less than 15,000. When platelets are 15 to 20, you may do gentle exercising that does involve resistance. This could include exercising while sitting or standing, gentle stretching or taking an easy walk. A platelet count of 20 to 40 allows you to use some light resistance, such as weights or latex bands. You can walk faster and climb stairs. At platelet levels of 40 to 60, add exercises such as stationary cycling and golfing. Higher levels, that are still considered too low, allow for aerobic exercise such as biking and jogging, but require wearing proper gear and taking caution against injury.


No comments:

Post a Comment